The Building of All Saints Church
In 1860 Charles Edward Lefroy, Secretary to the Speaker of the House of Commons, commissioned All Saints Church, Fleet – in memory of his wife, Janet Walker, who had died in 1857. The architect was William Burges, among the greatest of the Victorian art-architects.
The ecclesiastical parish of Ewshot and Crookham was split into two in 1862 with the northern section based on the All Saints church, becoming the new parish of Fleet.
Lefroy did not live to see the church completed, so Janet’s father, James Walker, undertook to finance the remainder of the project.
The cost was:
By subscription £724.0s.0d.
C. E. Lefroy, or his estates by money or material £1122.0s.0d.
James Walker (exclusive of an endowment of £75 per annum) £1477.0s.0d.