All Saints church was consecrated in 1862, a time which arguably marks the birth of the community of Fleet. Fleet was initially in the ecclesiastical diocese of Winchester but became part of the diocese of Guildford in 1927 when the diocese was formed.
Charles Edward Lefroy (1810-1861) laid the foundation stone of All Saints church in 1860 in memory of his wife, Janet, who had died in 1857, but he didn’t live to see the church consecrated in 1862.
The architect William Burges (1827-81) was known for his love of the Gothic style and he loved strong geometric shapes and symbolic decoration. Other examples of his work include the church at Studley Royal, Cardiff Castle and Castell Coch.
For more details on the history of All Saints Church please contact our Parish Office to buy a copy of one of our booklets or download some snippets in the form of the All Saints Church fact file produced for the 2014 Heritage Weekend.